Before your appointment:
1. Let it grow. You want to have at least a quarter of an inch of growth. Typically, that means you need to go about 2 weeks without shaving or 5 weeks after a previous Brazilian Wax.
2. Pop a few Tylenols, invest in a topical product or BOTH. While a Brazilian probably isn’t as painful as you are thinking, taking an over the counter pain medicine before your appointment can help with discomfort during and after. There are also several products on the market to apply before the wax that help with pain and ingrown hairs. We recommend No Scream Cream. We do apply some numbing cream before the appointment as well.
3. Clothes Count. After the wax you are going to want to be wearing loose clothing. Think maxi dresses or soft leggings. Leave those super cute skinny jeans and lacy underwear at home, you will thank us later.
4. Exfoliate before the date! Make sure the night before your wax you GENTLY exfoliate. Getting rid of the dead skin will help make sure you have an even wax and will help to cut down on ingrown hairs! You can make a paste using a mixture of water and baking soda and it’s gentle enough to use regularly.
5. Don’t Wait! Are you waxing for a special event? Don’t wait until right before to get your first wax. Book one or two before to make sure your hair growth is on the same cycle and that you don’t have an adverse reaction.
During your appointment:
1. Assume the position -Butterfly! Heels together, knees apart. Inside you are probably dying a little, don’t worry, it’s just another day at the office for us. Talking can get your mind off of it. Your technician might have you help pull the skin tight in certain areas. That’s normal, it just helps get a smoother wax. The tighter the skin the less it will hurt.
3. Yes it hurts, but not as bad as you think. Everyone has a different pain tolerance and there are lots of factors that can increase the pain of a Brazilian. For example, your period, how often you wax, and certain medications that you may be taking. Typically the procedure goes – apply wax, pull, press. The initial pain should subside within the first two seconds. Don’t hold your breath. Exhale with the pull to help with pain. The whole service should be around 10-15 minutes tops.
5. Communication is key. You know it is going to hurt, but make sure you are telling your technician if something doesn’t feel right. Listen to your body and let her know if you have concerns!
4. Front, Back & Everything in between. A Brazilian is all the hair, even the ones back there… The good news is you made it through the painful parts. Now it’s time to roll over on your side and pull your knees to your chest. Most people think this is going to be the worst part, in reality it’s the quickest part and the least painful.
After the appointment:
1.Seeing Red- It’s normal for the skin to be a little irritated following a wax, especially the first few hours. Use a soothing aftercare product like PFB, skip your workout and keep the skin nice and hydrated. Avoid products that will clog the pores!
2. Business as usual- The day after your wax everything should be returning to normal. Most clients wake up to soft smooth skin. But if you have sensitive skin, don’t worry if you are still a little tender.
3. Before you leave the spa pre-book your next appointment for 5-6 weeks later. Staying on top of your waxing will make the service easier and the hair will grow back in a little less every time! Weeee!
4. Upkeep for the upcoming appointment- Make sure to exfoliate regularly. Avoid heavy lotions that can clog pores.
4. Save that Shave- Don’t shave in between appointments. It will mess up the hair cycle. Stick with your waxes and the hair will get thinner each visit.
Book your Brazilian wax appointment with BBHL today! Click HERE!